Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting

I'm sorry if you feel the need to lick your computer screen.

















This frosting is just that good.  Very light and sweet with a hint of saltiness.  Frosting is always better when made from scratch.

















The cupcakes, however, are not made from scratch.  I'm not sure my baking skills can surpass Betty Crocker's just yet.  She has perfected her boxed recipe and as long as I don't leave it in the oven too long, they always seem to come out tasty.
















I made two batches: vanilla and chocolate.  I thought chocolate would be the better pairing with the caramel but I am not a fan of chocolate cake.  (I was pretty surprised by this when I came to this realization a while back.  I do seem to like chocolate everything else though.)
















If I had only made chocolate cupcakes, I probably would have licked all the icing off the tops left the cake bottoms for Joe.  
















Not the worst problem he could have but I think it's good I decided to make some vanilla as well.


Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
(slightly adapted from allrecipes)

Ingredients
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 pinch sea salt

3/4 cup salted butter
2 cups powdered sugar

Directions
In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, unsalted butter, and corn syrup and put over medium-high heat.  Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes.  Let it cool until it is warm, not hot.  Then slowly whisk in the cream.  Add the vanilla and a pinch of salt and stir to incorporate.  Set aside to let it cool completely to room temperature.

Beat the softened salted butter with the paddle attachment for 2 minutes at a low setting (2 on a Kitchen Aid).  Then switch to the stainless steel whip attachment and beat for 10 minutes at a medium-high setting (6 on the Kitchen Aid mixer).  Add a cup of the powdered sugar and mix on low for a minute to incorporate it.  Scrape down the sides with a spatula and add the second cup of powdered sugar.  Mix for another minute on low.

While keeping the mixer on low, add the cooled caramel a tablespoon at a time until it is all gone.  Beat until it is all combined and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment