Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Orzo, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Salad

Whenever I go over to my parents' house, I immediately go to the fridge in search of sustenance because the 10 minute drive leaves me weakened.  If I am so lucky, my mom has made this salad and therefore she is unlucky as I will inhale it all.
 This may be my favorite thing that my mom makes. It's delicious when freshly made and even better cold the following day.
 Generally when I like things this much it usually has the word chocolate somewhere in the title.  Or at least it comes served with crumbled bacon.
So I was pleasantly surprised to find that the recipe isn't loaded with butter or anything that would make me feel guilty for eating it by the truckload.
  In fact, when I asked her where she got the recipe from, she said Cooking Light!  That just affirms the healthiness!
Feel free to make this and invite me over finish the leftovers.



Orzo, Corn, and Roasted Red Pepper Salad

(barely adapted from Cooking Light)

Makes about 8 servings

Ingredients

2 red bell peppers
3 ears of corn
1 cup uncooked orzo
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 red onion, cut into half inch slices
1/4 cup green onions, slice thinly
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
1 jalapeño, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper


Directions

Preheat the broiler and boil a pot of water for the corn.  Cut the red bell peppers in half and remove the membrane and seeds.  Place the peppers, skin side up, on a foil lined baking sheet and broil for 15 minutes or until well charred.  Remove and put them in a zip lock bag and set aside - this will make it easy to peel the skins off later.  Once the water is boiling, cook the corn for just 3-4 minutes.  You want the kernels to still be firm.  Set aside.

Cook the orzo according to the packaging.  Meanwhile, cut the red onion and place them on the same foil lined baking sheet and roast them in the broiler for 3-4 minutes.  You want them to turn soft but be careful they don't get burned.  Drain the orzo when it is ready and transfer it to a bowl.  Immediately stir in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Peel red peppers and chop them relatively finely (I try to make them about the same size as the corn kernels).  Chop the red onion as well and cut the corn off the cob.  Add the red pepper, red onion, corn, green onion, parsley and jalapeño to the orzo.

In a small bowl, mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the white wine vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper.  Pour it into the orzo bowl as well and mix to incorporate all the ingredients.


No comments:

Post a Comment