Monday, August 27, 2012

Caramelized Onion, Asparagus, and Pancetta Pizza

It took me four tries to finally get this pizza right.
 
The first time I was in a rush and I burned the caramelized onions.  I am too impatient to do caramelized onions the right way.  I'm working on it.
 
I blame the second failure on the Olympics.  I put the pizza on the grill, watched some beach volleyball, then went back to find myself with a blackened pizza.  It actually didn't taste that bad.
The third try was when I took all the ingredients over to Suzi's house to make the pizza there.  Third time's the charm, right?  Nope, forgot the pancetta.
Finally I did it!  And it was good!  Joe and I finished off the entire thing in one sitting.
 It's a lot of work but if you can get it right, it's delicious and worth it.

Caramelized Onion, Asparagus, and Pancetta Pizza

Ingredients
Pizza dough of your choosing
Garlic infused Olive Oil (roast a head of garlic in olive oil in a ramekin for about 45 min)
Asparagus, roasted and cut into bite sized pieces
Caramelized Onion
1/2 Cup of Pancetta, cut into small squares
Pecorino

Directions
Roll out your dough on a pizza peel.  Use flour or cornmeal under the dough so it will slide off easily.  Turn all the burners of your grill on high, put a pizza stone on the grates and close the lid to let it heat up. In a small skillet, heat the pancetta over low heat until some of the fat is rendered and they brown up a little bit.

Assemble the pizza:  Brush on some garlic infused olive oil and top it with the asparagus, caramelized onions and the pancetta.  Once the grill reaches 500°F (or hotter!), slide the pizza onto the stone and close the lid.  It should take about 5-6 minutes but keep an eye on it.  Once the sides and bottom have browned, slide the pizza back onto the pizza peel.  Let it cool for a few minutes before slicing and devouring.

No comments:

Post a Comment